This warm and hearty meal is both delicious and healthy. Lasagna is always a warm favorite among many families and the spinach variation is no different. We have decided to use spinach but many variations of veggies can be used to give it a healthy edge.
We hope you enjoy this simple and delicious recipe!
Prep Time: 35 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Ready In: 2 hours
Here’s what you will need
- 20 Lasagna Noodles
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Cup chopped fresh Mushrooms
- 1 Cup chopped Onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced Garlic
- 2 Cups fresh Spinach
- 3 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- 2/3 cup grated Romano Cheese
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon dried Basil leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground Black Pepper
- 1 Egg
- 3 Cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 3 Cups Tomato Pasta sauce
- 1 Cup grated Parmesan cheese
Let’s get started!
- We will begin by cooking the lasagna noodles.
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil and salt it.
- Add in the 15 lasagna noodles and cook them for 8 to 10 minutes. Be sure to stir the noodles while they cook so that they don’t stick to one another. (you can also add a little olive oil to the water to ensure the pasta doesn’t stick together)
- Once cooked, drain the noodles and cool them under cold water and set aside.
- Crush one tablespoon of Garlic, this should be around 3 cloves
- Now heat 2 table spoons of olive oil in a large skillet or pan over high heat. When the oil is flowing freely, add the mushrooms, onions and garlic to the heated olive oil.
- Cook and stir the mixture until all is tender.
- Drain the excess liquid and let this mixture cool.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, and add two cups of fresh spinach to the water while it is boiling.
- Allow the spinach to cook for 5 minutes after which you can drain the spinach and allow it to cool slightly.
- Once cooled, squeeze any excess liquid from the spinach using light paper towel and then chop finely. At this point, you can pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl add 3 cups of ricotta cheese, 2 thirds of a cup of grated Romano cheese, a tea spoon of salt, a tea spoon of dried origanum, a teaspoon of dried basil leaves, half a teaspoon of ground black pepper, one egg, the cooked spinach and then finally the cooled mushroom mixture.
- Beat all the ingredients together with an egg beater on low speed for about 1 minute, until all the ingredients are mixed together well. Now you are ready to assemble the lasagna.
- Using a 9 by 13 inch baking dish, begin by laying 5 lasagna noodles in the bottom of the dish side by side.
- Next spread a third of the cheese and vegetable mixture over the noddles so that all the pasta is covered with a thin layer of the mixture.
- Next cover the this mixture with a good handful of shredded mozzarella cheese, so that the mixture has a light covering.
- The on top of this, spread a third of a cup of grated parmezan cheese to cover the mozerella cheese and spread one cup of tomato pasta sauce over the cheese.
- Now it is time to add another layer of 5 lasagna noddles on top of the cheese and tomato mixture.
- We will now repeat this process above twice more in order to create a 3 tiers of the above mixture with cheese and tomato sauce in total.
- Add one more cup of tomato pasta sauce to cover the top of the mixture.
- The lasagna has now been assembled – it is time to put it into the oven. cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and place the lasagna in the oven. The lasagna will need to bake in the preheated over for 1 hour.
- You can also take the foil off for the last 10 to 15 minutes if you want the top to brown a little bit.
- Let the lasagna cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- Top it will more freshly grated permasan cheese.
- Viola, Enjoy!
This recipe is referenced from AllRecipes.com with our compliments.