Extremely Easy and Tasty Broccoli Salad
In light of our focus on the the health benefits of broccoli, it has been a shown that a little side dish of broccoli once a week can dramatically improve health on so many levels.
Many people are not aware of how simple it is to prepare a tasty and easy portion of broccoli which can be served to many situations, and many different meals.
In light of this.. we have decided to show everyone an extremely easy way to to prepare a tasty and refreshing broccoli salad, which could easily be eaten once a week with minimum effort.
There are many ways to prepare a broccoli salad.. but here is our take, we’re sure that you will enjoy this simple and refreshing recipe!
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
Ready In: 50 Minutes
Here’s what you will need
- 1/2 kg of fresh Broccoli
- 3 Cloves Garlic, mashed into a paste
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 Pinch Red Pepper Flakes, or to taste
- 1 Pinch salt and ground Black Pepper, or to taste
- 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
- We would like to start out with around a half kg of broccoli
- We’d like to start out by breaking up all the stems of the broccoli, and then with a sharp knife, simply slicing off the last 3 mm of each stem.
- This is because after a while the tips of the stems might have become a little hard and so we want the natural softness of the broccoli to be exposed to the dressing later on.
- we’re going to cut the long stems off and then with thew sharp knife, we’re going to cut the stem into equal sized Quarters
- Then with the tops touching the chopping board, we’re going to the cuts each of the broccoli stems into quarters, starting the knife from the soft stem down into the flowery top.
- NB – Don’t worry about what the tops look like, the process is just about trying to get the stems to an equal and even size, this will helps ensure that all pieces are cooked as evenly as possible
- After all the pieces have been separated, stems and pieces being of relatively equal size, we’re then going to take a large pot of boiling and salty water and we’re going to boil the broccoli for around 5 to 6 minutes.
- Its important to boil the broccoli to a point when the broccoli is no longer soft, but also not hard.. use a pointy knife to determine the turgedness of the broccoli. When the stems are Just starting to become tender this is when they are done.. this is usually around the 5 – 6 minute mark. (results may vary depending on the type of broccoli you are using)
- Once they are ready, take them out of the boiling water and place them into a bowl of cold water until they are cool.. (if you have a few pieces of ice lying around these would be supportive to place in the water, however normal cold water is just fine)
- Once they have cooled, we will then place then head down into a big siv,in order to allow any remaining water to drain from the flowery ends, and set this aside while we prepare the dressing (they will need to drain for at least 30 min)
Preparing The dressing
This is very simple,
- Into a big mixing bowl, We add our 3 crushed gloves of garlic, 2 Table Spoons of lemon juice, 2 tables spoons of Rice Vinegar, a pinch of salt and pepper to taste, a sprinkle of red chili flakes and a half teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- The normal drill is to use a whisker and start slowly by mixing all the ingredients together, starting slowly and then increasing speed until the mixture begins to come together and thicken.
- once the mixture starts to blend together we can then add our final ingredient to the dressing – 1/3 cup of olive oil – and continue to mix until the dressing is consistent and thick.
- Once the broccoli is drained, place the broccoli in a bowl and pour in your dressing. The trick is that broccoli will naturally soak up the dressing and so it is important that all pieces are soaked in the dressing as much as possible.
- It is good to let the pieces sit and soak for around 3 to 5 minutes and then toss them again in the bowl.
- The broccoli can now be placed in a serving dish and served with a sprinkle of red chili flakes on top if you wish
- It is perfect to serve like this, if you choose to place the broccoli in the fridge, ensure it is there no longer than 1 hour as the dressing will begin to break down the broccoli, and it will not taste as good.
- Once this has been done once or twice, this process will be second nature and you will come to understand how easy it is to incorporate broccoli into your everyday diet!. Good luck!
This recipe is referenced from AllRecipes.com with our compliments.